Donahue woman’s murder suspect identified


The man suspected of killing Brittany Wilson, of Donahue, is dead, authorities say. 

The alleged killer, Manuel Rangel, 21, was located in western Nebraska by Nebraska State Police Aug. 18 and after authorities disabled his vehicle, Rangel took his own life, a press release from the Bettendorf Police Department said. 

Rangel is suspected of shooting Wilson while she worked at a Big 10 Mart in Bettendorf Aug. 17. 

Bettendorf Police Chief Keith Kimball revealed events that led to authorities finding Rangel in a press release Tuesday.

According to the release, Rangel began Aug. 17 breaking in to a dog-boarding facility in his hometown of Genoa, Illinois, and left with his dog. Authorities say Rangel was told the dog could not live with him at his parent’s house at the request of the landlord. 

Once he retrieved his dog, multiple traffic cameras tracked Rangel driving his mom’s Chevrolet Cruze on Interstate 88, and Interstate 80 near LeClaire. Cameras followed him through Davenport to the Big 10 Mart convenience store on the corner of 18th Street and 53rd Avenue in Bettendorf. 

Video footage showed Rangel entering the Big 10 Mart property and parking by the front doors. Kimball’s account of the events say Rangel left the gas station about five minutes later and traveled westbound on 53rd Avenue into Davenport. 

An emergency call was placed from the convenience store at 5:40 p.m., five minutes after Rangel left the scene, Kimball said. 

On the morning of Aug. 18, Rangel’s brother reported to authorities that Rangel had been depressed and bitter about his dog’s living situation. The brother said he corresponded with Rangel that morning, at which point it was determined Rangel was in Nebraska. 

Using the MyChevy smartphone application, Rangel’s mother and the Scott County Sheriff’s Office located Rangel and the Chevy Cruze in Nebraska. 

Nebraska authorities were notified, and Rangel was found shortly thereafter. Kimball said Rangel led the Nebraska State Patrol on a short pursuit. Using the vehicle’s OnStar subscription, authorities shut down the vehicle’s motor.

As they approached the car on foot, troopers heard a single gunshot. 

Rangel was transported to and later died at a hospital in Scottsbluff, Nebraska. 

Wilson’s family has requested privacy from media and the public as they are still grieving their loss, Kimball said.