Note: The following is a statement from the governing board of the DeWitt Referral Center:
Our focus is and will continue to be on meeting the currents needs of our community members during this unprecedented time.
Thank you to our community at large for their response to our requests to be able to continue to serve those in needs.
Special thank you to those businesses, groups and individuals that stepped up in an extremely generous fashion:
- Businesses: Thrivent, Cargill, Murphy’s Pub, DeWitt Bank & Trust, Legacy Insurance Group, First Central State Bank, and David Linder State Farm
- Groups: Junior Women, DeWitt Nite Lions, River Bend Food Bank and United Way of Clinton County
- Individuals: Dean & Lori Holst, Tom & Linda Casad, Greg & Joni Tigges and Verna Turnis
114 emergency food bags (and counting) provided to those in need since March 19th. This is in addition to 75 monthly food boxes that we normally provide to clients.
- A special thank you to United Methodist Church, Jim and Gayle Powell, Kitty Willimack and Dede Wagener for their help with getting this program up and running so quickly to aide some many in our community.
- Thank you to Superintendent Dan Petersen, Dede Wagener, and all teachers and staff involved with the food distribution provided by the school while the schools have been closed. As well, as donating the perishable food that was in the refrigerates at the schools. Also a thank you to DeWitt Travel Mart partnering with Subway, Larry Thein partnering with Mezcal and David Linder State Farm for their free lunch offerings. This out-pouring of assistance has been a blessing to our community and has helped relieve some of the strain on our resources.
Unfortunately, we are likely see an increased need for food assistance as well as monetary assistance for living expenses such as rent/house payments, utilities, etc. We will need the continued support of the community. Here are the ways we are asking for helping from the community:
- Food donations: Food donations are being accepted Monday-Friday8am-5pm. There are bins located outside the center for food drop offs. Keeping social distancing in mind, we are urging people to only pick up donations if they are already planning a trip to the grocery store and wouldn’t mind picking up a few extra items or maybe have a couple items to spare in their pantry. Our food donation needs changes on a pretty regular basis- we have been and will continue to provide “top needs” updates at least once a week via Facebook. For those that do not have Facebook, the posts are also viewable on our website www.dewittreferralcenter.org
- Monetary donations: Those who would rather contribute a monetary donation can drop off their donation Monday-Friday 8am-5pm or mail it to The Referral Center at 615 8th Street, DeWitt. Along with calling and setting up an appointment, we have established another avenue for people to request financial assistance. Those wishing to request financial assistance can now email and attach the following information to email@example.com:
- Iowa Driver’s License or photo ID
- Piece of mail (dated) that shows current residence, or lease agreement
- Thirty days of pay stubs for all working members in the household
- Proof of any other income (Social Security, child support, alimony, etc.)